Creating a new Content Type
A site may have a use for a type of page that is more structured than the free-form Basic page. If a site has multiple pages with the same format, these pages will probably be easier to maintain as instances of a specialized content type rather than a Basic page. In a nutshell, it's a page template.
For example, say Human Resources has a page for every type of insurance that is offered as part of the University's benefits package. Each of these pages is similair: there's an intro paragraph, a section about elegebility, a section with a table of rates, and a section of supporting documents such as form PDFs. This would be a good case for a custom content type.
Create a new Content type
- On the Administration Toolbar, click Structure, click the Content types link and then the +Add content type link.
- Enter a name in the Name field. In our example, we might use "Insurance Benefit" and a Description of "information about a specific type of insurance offered to employees with supporting documents".
- In the settings and options section, click Publishing options.
Unselect Promoted to front page and select Create new revision.
- In the settings and options section, click Display Setting.
Decide whether you want the page's author to appear by selecting Display author and date information.
- In the settings and options section, click Comment settings.
Change Default comment setting for new content to Hidden.
- Click Save and add fields button.