Fields are the components that make up a Content Type/Node. Content Types start off with a Title field and a Body field. So when you complete creating a new Content Type (see Creating a New Content Type), you essentially have something that is no different than a Basic page.
Adding a File Upload Widget
If your site has a lot of short pages with a brief amount of text and related PDF forms, you may consider adding a File field to the Basic page content. When you do this, your Basic pages will have a file upload widget to easily upload and share your PDFs online.
- On the Administation toolbar, click Structure.
- Click the Content typeslink.
- LABEL: Enter the title for the widget to appear on the page.
- FIELD TYPE: Select File from the drop-down list.
- WIDGET: This should automatically populate after you choose a field type.
- For the content type to add the field to, click the manage fields link in the OPERATIONS column. For our example, we changed the Basic page.
- Click Save.
- Click the EDIT tab to edit the widget's settings.
- txt = text
- pdf = portable document format
- doc = Word 97 document
- docx = Word document
- ppt = PowerPoint 97 presentation
- pptx = PowerPoint presentation
- xls = Excel 97 workbook
- xlsx = Excel workbook
- Add additional file types to the Allowed file extensions field (separated with a comma).
Common file extentions:
- Select Enable Description field to allow users to add a description about the uploaded file.
- Click Save settings.