To empower and advance web development at the University of Nebraska–Lincoln to create leading, user-focused web experiences.
We do this by:
- Fostering a collaborative developer network
- Soliciting user and stakeholder feedback
- Cultivating quality website stewardship
- Developing superior frameworks and public information applications
Activities of the Board
- Prioritization and administration of framework and public information applications, including, but not limited to: UNL Web Framework, UNLcms, MediaHub, Events, Web Audit, UNL Chat, Announce, and UNL Alert
- Continuing development of the Standards Guide and its associated Web Audit tool
- Review of university websites according to Standards Guide
- Communication of specific issues and recommended remediation
- Enforcement actions
Current Board Members
The following university employees comprise the membership of the WDN Shared Governance Board for calendar year 2019:
- Aaron Coleman* | Digital Experience Group (UComm / ITS)
- Peta-Gaye Clachar | Animal Science
- Bob Crisler* | Digital Experience Group (UComm / ITS)
- Ryan Dee* | Digital Experience Group (UComm / ITS)
- Danielle Dewees | 4-H Youth Development
- Shawn Hellwege | ASEM
- Anne Holz | IANR Media
- David Houfek | Graduate Studies
- Keith McGuffey | IANR Media
The WDN Shared Governance Board is also made up of three sub-committees, each with a different focus:
Chaired by Ryan Dee, Senior Web Designer/Developer, an open group that works together to form recommendations to the Shared Governance Board that will help improve the experience of visitors interacting with user interface of university websites and its public information systems. Any individual who is interested in web design and user experience research are welcome to participate. Please email Ryan Dee to indicate interest, feedback, questions, or to be informed of upcoming meetings.
QA Review Sub-Committee
This sub-committee reviews websites within the university's CMS to ensure web standards such as HTML validity, web accessibility regulation compliance, SEO performance and much more. Please email the WDN Board if you are interested in learning more about this sub-committee, provide feedback, questions, or to be informed of upcoming meetings.
Public Information Application User Group
Chaired by Eric Rasmussen, CMS Developer & Service Manager, this user group meets to discuss feedback and ways to improve our range of public information applications such as Events or Maps. Please email Eric Rasmussen if you have feedback, questions, or would like to be part of this user group.
Upcoming Meeting Dates
This year’s board meetings will occur on the first and third Thursdays of every month.
- First Thursday of the month: University Communication (1217 Q St.), 3 p.m.
- Third Thursday of the month: Nebraska East Union, 3 p.m.
Details About the Board
The WDN Shared Governance Board promotes and administers the UNLedu Web Framework and its associated Standards Guide. The board is a 9-person committee: 6 seats, with 2-year terms, nominated and elected by Web Developer Network members; and 3 seats appointed by Director of Digital Experience Group.
Board terms begin on January 1 and end on December 31 of the following year.
Board members can expect a commitment of 4–6 hours per month.
Meetings are open to any member of the UNL community.
The board reserves the right to vote to convene in executive session at its discretion. These circumstances may include but are not limited to: enforcement actions, by request of site owner, etc.
Agendas and minutes are posted on wdn.unl.edu.
Every year, three members’ terms end and three new members are elected; Nominations are opened at the October meeting and close at 5 p.m. on the Monday prior to the first Tuesday in November, voting opens during the November WDN meeting. Voting closes at 5 p.m. on the Monday before the first Tuesday of December. The new board is announced at the December WDN regular meeting, and is seated Jan. 1.
Only 1 person per organizational unit (by org unit number) to be elected per term (max of 2 serving at any given time). There is no limit on nominations, but only the person with the most votes will be appointed. The purpose of this is to ensure diversity of the board.
Vacated seats will be reappointed by consensus of the remaining elected membership, with runners-up from the most recent prior election comprising the initial pool of candidates.
Contact the Board
To contact members of the board, use one of the forms below or send an email to email@example.com.Contact Form Suggestion Box
Past Governance Board Members
Thanks to these former WDN Shared Governance Board members for their service:
- Kevin Abel* | Digital Experience Group (University Communication / ITS)
- Becky Aiken | IANR Media
- Michael Bergland-Riese | Nebraska Extension
- Erin Chambers | Department of English
- Alan Eno | College of Journalism & Mass Communications
- Michael Fairchild* | Digital Experience Group (University Communication / ITS)
- Loren Frerichs | IT Client Services
- Anne Holz | IANR Media
- Matthew Honke | College of Engineering
- Kyle Martens | Nebraska Forest Service
- David Merriman | College of Education and Human Sciences
- Mike O'Connor | College of Arts and Sciences
- Hardik Patel | Information Technology Services
- Melissa Sinner | University Libraries
- Martin Wolff | Information Technology Services