May 2018 Meeting Notes
Tuesday, May 15, 2018 - 2:00pm
WDN Shared Governance Board updates
- QA Review Subcommittee
- UX Design Subcommittee
- Discussed usability testing and feedback about progress of the design. Every morning at 9 a.m., there's an informal critique at 12th and Q offices of IIM if you want to drop by.
- Did round one of usability testing focusing on header, search, etc. Will be doing another round of testing. Based on feedback from initial round, next batch of tests will be done on the actual 5.0 theme. Early usability tests showed users were confused about bottom of viewport.
- Framework and App Usability-Focused User Group (new; Nancy Weyers?)
- Looking at all public information apps and how we can make improvements to those.
4.1 Framework & Application Updates
- Monthly updates. Changes include WebAudit Honor Roll information, wdn-icon-container change, and z-index for WDN Alert. View Changelog
- Mediahub Transcoding / Compression / Optimization Demo
- Beta testing this right now with a few accounts in order to find out best optimization and also the total costs
- Allows upload of many new media files, will automatically transcode the video into multiple compressions, then mediahub will serve the optimal video based on a users screen resolution and connection speed
Digital Campus Framework (DCF) 1.0 / UNL Theme 5.0
- Blog post: Moving Forward with UNLedu 5.0
- Framework Goal: Score average < 1 sec on FCP (First Contentful Paint) on Google PageSpeed Insights
- June is Alpha release
- Apps sub theme alpha July
- UNLcms theme preview
- Usability testing will continue through fall
- Still looking at new media formats
- DCF Documentation - http://www.digitalcampus.us/
- WDN Documentation - https://wdn.unl.edu/50-classes
- For reading / studying up on CSS Grid - CSS Grid Garden
- Before we start on major development, it's a good time to look over your site and clean up even minor issues that could be bringing down a site score. https://webaudit.unl.edu/groups/unl/
- Launched AutoBan to ban IPs based on how many webform submissions happen
- Still a best practice is to set up form submissions rules per user per day / week / month (under Webform -> Form Settings -> Total Submission Limit or Per User Submission Limit)
- 4.1 Grid will still work in 5.0, but scaling text may cause some display issues. Will have theme switcher preview ready in June to start looking at sites.
- Feature magazine on Nebraska students creating their futures: CoCreate