March 2018 Meeting Notes
Tuesday, March 13, 2018 - 2:00pm
WDN Shared Governance Board updates
- QA Review Subcommittee
- Meet this Thursday to discuss how to improve the QA process. No site review.
- UX Design Subcommittee
- Meeting Monday, April 9, 2 pm in the Garage at University Communication offices, 12th & Q to review design progress.
- Information Architecture (IA) Proposals
- Nielsen Norman Group recommends using task-based navigation labels, avoiding audience-based labels.
- There is more cognitive load associated with audience-based navigation.
- Internet & Interactive Media (IIM) reviewed top-level IAs of other higher education institution sites and found an overwhelming majority of task-based IAs.
- Consult with IIM on Fridays during open office hours.
- Framework & App User Group
- Working on putting together a user group of programmers to look at UX (both front-end and administration) for the public information apps.
Framework & Application Updates
- Updated links in footer. View Changelog
- WebAudit: update aXe and W3C validator, change spelling errors to notices
- Events: images on home page
- MediaHub encoding updates on the way, will include adaptive streaming
- WebAudit: in contrast to last month, all metrics were up or equal this month. An Honor Roll was added for sites in the 90–100% range. Gold and silver star badges coming to sites in the footer next month.
Timeline to Completion
- Apr: UX Design Subcommittee meeting to review design progress
- May: Barkley feedback in mid–late May
- June: Framework Alpha 1, CMS Theme Preview
- July: Framework Alpha 2, CMS Site Demo
- Aug: Framework Beta 1, CMS Development Ready, Apps
- Sep: Framework Beta 2, CMS Feedback + Features
- Oct: Framework 5.0 Release Candidate 1, CMS Feedback + Features
- Nov: Framework 5.0, CMS Production Ready
- Dec: Sites and Apps Ready
- Jan: Go-live Tuesday, Jan 2, 2019, 3pm (remember: 1/2 @ 3), N150 (sesquicentennial)
- The timeline has been updated on the Framework Roadmap page.
- Organic groups update this weekend for sites on Drupal 7
- Roles should be unchanged for staff moving from UNL to Central Admin
Digital Campus Framework (DCF) 1.0 / UNL Theme 5.0
- Base DCF documentation available at http://www.digitalcampus.us; will eventually be incorporated into UNL 5.0 theme documentation.
- Lazy-loading will be integrated into framework
- CAS logins getting merged into Shibboleth logins on Sunday morning. Need to pretest and check your standard services and submit a ticket if they're not working on Sunday morning.
- Chrome 66 will stop honoring Symantec certs in mid-April. It shouldn't have a major effect, but make sure your sites are not effected.